Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Album Review: Santogold - Santogold




Santogold - Santogold


01. L.E.S. Artistes
02. You'll Find A Way
03. Shove It (feat. Spankrock)
04. Say Aha
05. Creator (Vs. Switch & Nasty)
06. My Superman
07. Lights Out
08. Starstruck
09. Unstoppable
10. I'm A Lady (feat. Trouble Andrew)
11. Anne
12. You'll Find A Way (Switch & Sinden Remix)





Standout Tracks: L.E.S. Artistes / Lights Out / Creator (Vs. Switch & Nasty)


Santi White aka Santogold has provided us with a fairly solid record for her debut. After listening to "L.E.S. Artistes" quite a bit over the last few months, I was definitely noticing the M.I.A. comparison, but honestly this record is pretty diverse. It's even a little more rockin' than dance-able, which I wasn't expecting. However, I did just read, which now makes sense, that she used to be the lead singer of a punk/ska band called, Stiffed. Now I can already tell you that this isn't my favorite record of the year, but do yourself a favor and check it out. Santi is definitely living up to her hype of "An Artist To Watch In 2008" and I have a feeling that this record will be one of the highlights on many blogs best of lists. Santogold is out today via Downtown.


* Album reviews are composed only after a few listens. Yes, opinions may change over time, but most first impressions (un)fortunately seem to hold true. I wish I was creative enough to write a proper review, but I've failed miserably in the past. Here's the next best thing, I hope.


[Myspace] Santogold

[Count Me Out] Video: Santogold "L.E.S. Artistes"

No comments:

Post a Comment