Thursday, December 23, 2010
Favorite Live Shows Of 2010
Again, another year where I did not attend as many shows as I could've/should've, however I was able to attend a few good ones. Check My Favorite Live Shows Of 2010 out below, along with (more than) A Few Shows I Regret Missing.
20. Andrew Kettering at The Union (02.05.10)
One of my favorite songwriter's, who rarely plays solo shows.
19. Rue Royale + Gia Margaret at Schubas (10.09.10)
A lovely show from some lovely friends. Glad that Rue Royale, who now reside in the UK, return home every year to play a few shows.
18. Clare & The Reasons + Nouvelle Vague at Lincoln Hall (01.29.10)
Mostly went for Clare & The Reasons, which was great, but Nouvelle Vague definitely know how to throw a party.
17. Cold War Kids + Alec Ounsworth at The Vic (01.30.10)
One of four shows they played in support of the new EP. Not as good/intimate as last year's Schubas show, but was still sweet, especially since they added visual effects and gave away a free bootleg
16. Phosphorescent + J. Tillman at Empty Bottle (08.05.10)
Matthew Houck and band have some groovy new tunes, which made for a lively performance. Loved how Matthew introduced each song too. Tillman played a solo set of mostly new tunes, which unfortunately aren't my favorite, but still sounded lovely.
15. Appleseed Cast at Bottom Lounge (03.19.10)
Had never seen these guys over many years, but it was the 10 year anniversary of The Low Level Owl, which they played front to back. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
14. Fanfarlo at Lincoln Hall (04.07.10)
Didn't enjoy this show as much as the first time I saw them, but it was still pretty darn good. Why isn't this band huge?
13. Foreign Born at Empty Bottle (03.05.10)
Missed these guys last year, so it was great to hear tunes off one of my favorite albums from 2009.
12. Seabear at Schubas (04.02.10)
A lovely performance from a very underrated group from Iceland.
11. David Bazan + Headlights at House Cafe (04.03.10)
First time seeing Bazan and out to Dekalb's House Cafe. The tunes were mighty solid.
10. DM Stith + Inlets + Silje Nes at Andrew Rafacz Gallery (06.22.10)
A pretty intimate show and of course David's eerie folk tunes sounded great, as usual.
09. Menomena + Suckers + Tu Fawning at Metro (09.25.10)
First time seeing Menomena. Don't know why I waited so long, but thankfully their new record is one of my favorites of the year and convinced me to finally check them out.
08. Nathaniel Rateliff + JBM at Schubas (07.21.10)
Nathaniel's live set was pretty damn perfect, with top-notch harmonies. Got to meet the man too and he was super nice. Also, got to finally see JBM's lovely set, after a few failed attempts.
07. Deerhunter at Grand & I90 Underpass (09.25.10)
A sweet secret show, where the band tested out some of the new tunes for the first time.
06. The Besnard Lakes at Pritzker Pavilion (05.24.10)
Would've preferred a dark venue, but surprisingly this was probably just as good, plus the weather was perfect.
05. Sharon Van Etten + Junip at Lincoln Hall (11.06.10)
Sharon's trio was a nice change, especially with/for the new tunes. Junip's performance was pretty great/chill as well.
04. Owen Pallett + Sharon Van Etten + Peter Wolf Crier at Schubas (01.16.10)
Basically an album release show for Owen and it was amazing. First time seeing Sharon and hearing her voice live brought shivers down my spine. Was obsessed with the Peter Wolf Crier album at the time and their live show was just as good. Glad to see they got some attention this year.
03. The Black Keys + Kurt Vile at The Riv (12.31.09)
Can't think of a much better way to spend NYE.
02. Patrick Watson at Schubas (05.17.10)
One of the best live acts out there and it was his first time to Chicago.
01. Jónsi + Mountain Man at The Vic (11.03.10)
Words can't even describe how amazing this show was.
A Few Shows I Regret Missing
- Real Estate + Woods at Lincoln Hall (03.15.10)
- Charlotte Gainsbourg at Park West (04.21.10)
- Bahamas + Zeus + Jason Collett at Schubas (04.29.10)
- Eluvium at Schubas (05.24.10)
- The Tallest Man On Earth + Nathaniel Rateliff at Lincoln Hall (05.28.10)
- Caribou at Pritzker Pavilion (07.12.10)
- Modest Mouse at Pitchfork Festival (07.16.10)
- LCD Soundsystem + Panda Bear at Pitchfork Festival (07.17.10)
- Sharon Van Etten + Here We Go Magic at Schubas (07.17.10)
- Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros at Lincoln Hall (08.06.10)
- The National + The Antlers at House Of Blues (08.07.10)
- Arcade Fire at Lollapalooza (08.08.10)
- Lower Dens at Hideout (08.14.10)
- Local Natives + The Love Language at Metro (10.02.10)
- Ferraby Lionheart + First Aid Kit at Lincoln Hall (10.13.10)
- Sufjan Stevens + DM Stith at Chicago Theatre (10.15.10)
- Angus & Julia Stone at Lincoln Hall (10.16.10)
- Willy Mason at Lincoln Hall (10.22.10)
- The Weepies at Space (10.30.10)
- Vetiver + Peter Wolf Crier at Lincoln Hall (11.10.10)
- Shearwater + Damien Jurado at Lincoln Hall (11.16.10)
[Count Me Out] Favorite Live Shows Of 2009
[Count Me Out] Favorite Live Shows Of 2008
[Count Me Out] Favorite Live Shows Of 2007
[Count Me Out] Favorite Live Shows Of 2006