Sunday, November 23, 2008

Brightblack Morning Light at The Hideout (11.22.08)




So I went out to the Hideout last night to see a band that I really dig, Brightblack Morning Light. Unfortunately, I was unable to keep track of the setlist, but I believe they played a good chunk of the new album; however, overall, I was left slightly confused. To be honest, I still don't know what to make of it. First, I arrived after eating a pre-Thanksgiving dinner with friends, so I was completely stuffed. Then the venue was super crowded, foggy, and a little hot, but I guess wearing two shirts, a sweater, and a coat didn't help. Then after suffering from a brief panic/anxiety attack or something I decided I should leave, however, while heading to the back I discovered a cooler of water and a fan. After quenching my thirst I decided to stick it out. Now as for the music, the electric piano (rhodes) was right on, the guitar/keys a little on the loud side, drums/congas/vibraphone/trombone a little on the quiet side, and then the vocals were just all wrong. Now, I am not sure what kind of effects were on the vocals, but they were just way too quiet and trebly, yet they vocal mic kept feeding back. I don't know, it was weird. Was it the band, or the venue? Again, I am still confused. Was anyone else there? What were your thoughts? Anyway, the new release, Motion To Rejoin, is out now via Matador and it's pretty fantastic.


[Myspace] Brightblack Morning Light
[Website] Brightblack Morning Light

[Count Me Out] Album Review: Brightblack Morning Light - Motion To Rejoin
[Count Me Out] Brightblack Morning Light "Oppressions Each"
[Count Me Out] Brightblack Morning Light Announce Tour Dates
[Count Me Out] Brightblack Morning Light "Hologram Buffalo"

No comments:

Post a Comment